According to the 2010 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers 83% of home buyers purchased their home through a real estate agent and almost half of home buyers looked online for properties first. However, consumers still want the expertise of a real estate agent, below are the top three expectations buyers hold for a real estate agent:
1. Help find the right home The average home buyer looks for a home for 12 weeks and views 12 homes in that time frame. They look to you to give them advice and patience during the home search process. Be sure to show off your expertise of the housing market and your local area by answering any questions they have honestly. If you think a home is not for them – be honest, even if it will extend the search process. After all a happy client makes for good word of mouth and ultimately even more business for you!
2. Help negotiate the terms and price negotiations Negotiating the contract is one of the most vital steps a real estate agent will take on behalf of their client. Be sure to help your buyers identify in advance what they will and will not give up to ensure long-term happiness.
According to the NAR Report, 14% of buyers were more worried about the terms on the contract. Be sure to sit down with your buyers and list out the most important terms to them, so you know what to fight for and what they are willing to concede during negotiations.
Likewise, 10% of buyers were more worried about price negotiations. In the end, the market conditions will set the sale price of a home. Be sure to help set your buyers’ expectations before you being negotiations. Be sure that you have discussed their goals and make it clear that you will do all you can to negotiate the best price for their new home.
Remember, approaching negotiations with a confrontational “win-at-all-costs” attitude is likely to end with negative results. A more realistic goal is to find a mutually beneficial solution in which both parties can feel like they have won.
3. Help with the paperwork A home is one of the biggest purchases a person will make in their lifetime. With such a big purchase ultimately comes a storm of paperwork and hoops to jump through, your buyers are looking for your experience to help guide them through this process. You know everything that must get done to make it successfully to the closing table. Make sure to lay out every step they need to take that way there will be no surprises down the road. Remember that you are their real estate expert and guide.
Despite an ever changing real estate market the expectations have remained the same of real estate professionals. With the internet and technology searching for a home has never been easier, but buyers are still looking for real estate agents to help them find the right home and help them through the process. Agents who present themselves as honest, caring, and knowledgeable have a better chance of happy buyers and more referrals in the end. Over 87% of home buyers would recommend their agent to a friend, be sure your clients are part of that percentage by following these simple rules for a happy home buyer!
Attract more home buyers with Preferred Listings on Homes.com! It’s easy to sign up, just click here.*Resource: National Association of Realtors® 2010 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers
Latest posts by Jason Parker (see all)
- Homes.com at NAR 2015 – Find All the Presentation Slides Here! - November 10, 2015
- Why do I need a Homes.com Profile? - October 5, 2015
- Adding Quality Content to Your Website - September 14, 2015